After building quite a few applications with React you noticed that you were writing the same components over and over again. Following component libraries provide many cool features like theming, modularity, design system, and mobile-first responsive components to speed up your development.
- Material UI - React components for faster and easier web development. Build your own design system, or start with Material Design.
- Chakra UI - A simple, modular and accessible component library built on top of a React UI Primitive for endless composability, follows the WAI-ARIA guidelines specifications, dark mode compatible, and contains a set of layout components like Box and Stack that make it easy to style your components by passing props.
- Ant Design - A set of enterprise-class UI designed for web applications, over 50 customizable components, also availalbe in Vue and Angular.
- Blueprint - A React-based UI toolkit for the web. It is optimized for building complex, data-dense web interfaces for desktop applications which run in modern browsers and IE11. This is not a mobile-first UI toolkit.
- Semantic UI React - The official React integration for Semantic UI, automatically synced with the main Semantic UI repository to provide a lightweight CSS only version of Semantic UI.
- Grommet - A react-based framework that provides accessibility, modularity, responsiveness, and theming in a tidy package. It makes heavy use of the flexbox layout and styled-components.
- Rebass - React primitive UI components built with styled-system, first-class support for theming, mobile-first responsive styles with array-based syntax, Flexbox layout with the Box and Flex components, and minimal footprint at about 4KB.
What is a UI component library? - Usually a robust set of ready-made UI components such as buttons, inputs, dialogs, and so on. Each library has a distinctive look and feel, but most of them offer theming, and their components are customizable to a certain degree.
When to use what? - UI component libraries are very rich in both quality and quantity. It’s hard to pick the right one when the popular is often heavy and the lightweight is often limited. Eventually it comes down to personal preference.